Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Dairy Non-Dairy Creamer


I WAS AT WAWA a while back and I needed a coffee. Having just eaten meat, I was looking for an alternative to my usual half-and-half. I saw they had a bottle of non-dairy creamer, and was about to pour myself some, when I noticed an OU-D. Undeterred, I glanced at the label to check if there really was milk in the ingredients. Alas, there it was. It was in the “contains less than 2%” list, but it was there alright. So I was stuck without my coffee, and bought a Red Bull instead.

One day it hit me. I could absolutely have used that OU-D non-dairy creamer in my coffee after eating meat!

Why? It's simple, really. I mentioned that the ingredient panel said that it contained less than 2% milk. As I realized then, that is not good enough to be batel – 1/60 is about 1.6%, so going in on “less than 2%” would be a bit of a gamble. But what I realized was that I obviously wasn’t going be to drinking the creamer straight; I was putting it into my coffee. That means that at the end of the day there was no chance that the milk wouldn’t go under 1.6% of the total volume, which means it would automatically be batel! So it turns out that I could’ve had my coffee after all. Oh well.









                                                           

4 comments:

  1. Not sure if there is any basis to this or if it's just my gut feeling, but are you allowed to knowingly add milk and use the heter of bittul or is it only after the fact??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your gut is on the right track. There is a Halacha that אין מבטלין איסור לכתחילה. However in this case it doesn't apply, because in this case there is no issur.

      A normal case would be to take an small amount of pork and mixing it into a large pot of cholent, or pouring a teaspoon of milk into your pot of soup. There, you have issur - something which without rules of bitul would be assur to eat. There is is assur to be mevatel lechatchila. Here, you are simply mixing milk with water, so it doesn't pas to shtell tzu אין מבטלין.

      [לענ"ד it's not pashut there is bichlal such a thing as bitul when it's heter and heter. עכ"פ here the nidon is if at the end of the day my coffee has ta'am milk, and it doesn't, so it's mutar.]

      For further reference see Ohr Yitzchak I YD 5.

      Delete
  2. p.s. you shouldv'e tried the red bull in your coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try it and let me know how it tastes... :p

      Delete